Child Custody

Child Custody

Guidance for Decisions About Custody

In many divorces, two of the most important decisions a family will make involve where the children will live and what role each parent will play in their lives. As with many aspects of the end of a marriage, the approach you and your legal counsel use when determining custody matters can significantly affect your relationships with your former spouse and your children.

The Mercer County child custody attorneys at Ulrichsen Rosen & Freed LLC are mindful of the lingering impact that divorce negotiations and proceedings can have on these relationships. We help clients in Pennington and surrounding areas achieve fair resolutions for disputes regarding child custody and modifications.

Achieving a Resolution in the Best Interests of the Children

Our lawyers will provide you with counsel and guidance for determining both types of custody in New Jersey.

  • Physical custody involves where the child will reside. Physical custody can be shared, meaning the child lives a significant amount of time with each parent, or sole, meaning the child lives primarily with one parent and has parenting time with the other parent.
  • Legal custody involves the rights of both parents to make decisions about their children’s education, health care and other important parts of a child’s life. As a practical matter, there is often an award of joint legal custody, although sole custody is sometimes established.

Decisions about custody are made with the best interests of the children as a guide. If you and your former spouse cannot reach an agreement on custody, the court will make a determination based on factors such as parental fitness and ability, current living arrangements and the preferences of your children, depending on their age and ability to explain their preference.

Somerset County Parenting-Time and Visitation Attorney

Even when an award of sole physical custody is made, the noncustodial parent and child will still have a relationship. Parenting time, formerly called visitation, is the amount of time that a child spends with the noncustodial parent.

If you need counsel for a child custody matter or other family law matter, call us today at 609-730-3850 or contact us online.